In Indonesia (Yogyakarta and Borobudur)

This next part of the trip I was especially excited about because we were going to see thousands of years old temples!!!!! This day we went to Borobudur, a huge Buddhist temple built between 750 and 850 AD. We hired a driver through the hotel to take us around for the day. Borobudur is about an hour or two from Yogyakarta city. By the way, Yogyakarta is spelled two ways and it's pronounced more like the other way to spell it: Jogjyakarta, or "Joe-ja" For short. Yogyakarta is not as commercialized as Jakarta and it is famous for its colleges. It seems much more laid-back and there's lots of nature all around.
So, back to Borobudur. It is HUGE! There are six square levels and three circular levels on top of that. It looks like a mandala when viewed from the top. There are thousands of carved panels on each level depicting different religious scenes. We didn't hire a guide and there wasn't one available in English that day so we just admired the place and didn't worry about what the pictures meant. Walking around the whole thing going up each level in total is around 5km.







I see you!!!!



Let me tell you, I really loved this site the best out of the whole trip on Java island. After walking through Borobudur I really felt the lack of a hat. The sun was really beating down! So I asked the driver to help me negotiate a good price for a sunhat. It was funny. After I put it on he said I looked just like Kate Winslet in Titanic. Haha!
Next our friendly driver took us to the bird market, or Pasar Ngasem. It was really interesting to see all the animals but also sad to see some of them mal-treated. These chicks for example were dyed green to  get people too buy them. They also had puppies, rabbits, cats, hamsters, fish, and even bats! It was way to hot for them and I felt really bad. However, I'm glad to have gone and seen what a traditional market like that looks like.







A raven!

I must've been really tired after this because after we went back to the hotel, instead of exploring the place I napped the rest of the day....

When I woke up I watched a really scary documentary about a haunted house and learned about Ghost Boxes, a device where you wire a portable radio to pick up signals that ghosts can manipulate to talk to you. Creepy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

月下老人, the Taiwanese god of romance

Hess Banquet, Training, Lindy Hop, and Medical Check!

Pottery-making in Ying Ge